SWEET POTATO MOUSSAKA
In Serbia we used to eat greek moussaka made of potatoes and very often I make that one moussaka for my kids. But as I read a lot how night shade grupation of the veggies ( eggplants, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes …) are not such a great option for us because they are full of harmful substances which may contribute to inflammatory bowel disease and other autoimmune conditions. Having this fact in my mind and the fact that sweet potato has lower glycemic index and more vitamin A, I prefer to go for sweet potato instead of normal potato. But let’s go for this simple sweet potato moussaka recipe.
INGREDIENTS (6 portions)
1 big onion
4-6 sweet potatoes
500 g of minced chicken meat
250 ml of oat milk
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil and around 100 ml of water into a large casserole pan over a medium-low heat and add minced onion and pinch of salt. Sauté until you get gold onion.
- When you get gold onion, add minced chicken meat and sauté for 10 minutes more.
- Meantime, wash, peel off and cut sweet potatoes into circles.
- Whisk the eggs and add oat milk with pinch of salt.
- Oil the standard rectangle baking dish and place first layer of sweet potato slices over the old baking dish.
- Spread the meat – onion sauce on the top of the potatoes.
- Repeat the procedure while you have ingredients – layer of sweet potatoes and layer of meat – onion sauce.
- Turn on the oven to 200 C and before putting baking dish inside pour all over the sweet potatoes and meat whisked eggs with oat milk.
- Bake around 40 minutes at 200 C.
- Similar combination you can make with zucchini and some other minced meat.
- If you want to have the some colourful moment, just use the purple and orange sweet potato.