Taste of grilled shrimps brings me back always to the Adritic coast, to small town Jelsa at the island Hvar. That summer afternoon in small local restaurant and perfect grilled shrimps obviously left big impression on me.
I always thought that is too hard to grill them at home, but few days ago I found out that process of preparing can be easy if you have good knife, or you buy them cleaned and divined. I didn’t have goof knife, but my neighbor luckily had
12-16 jumbo shrimps
3 squeezed lemons
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp of salt and pepper
Fresh origano leaves
- If you bought them whole you have to cut them with hard knife in two parts and to remove digestive track.
- This is how you can do this: hold the shrimp between your thumb and forefinger, set the paring knife right at the tip of the head and then drag it down lightly and carefully along the back side of the shrimp, from the head to the tail.
- As it opens up, you’ll see a black vein appear.
- That’s the digestive track – remove it. Place them in the bowl, cover with olive oil and salt and pepper and leave them for 10-15 minutes.
- Meantime preheat the oven to 200 C and grill them 5-10 minutes per side. This is great appetizer or even lunch with little bit of rice.